Aca-cuse me? (I hope you understand that reference… Pitch Perfect, anyone?)
Yes, I said it, Paleo Brownies.
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup minus 1 Tbs. coconut flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. butter, melted
- 3 eggs, at room temperature (egg substitutes will not work)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, optional
How you’ll do it:
- Preheat the oven to 300 and grease a glass baking dish (8×8 or 9×9).
- Mix together all ingredients. You can do this by hand or with an electric mixer or high-powered blender.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 30 minutes before cutting or removing from the pan.
- These store well at room temperature or in the fridge for a few days. Make sure you keep them in an airtight container.
Now some people may say these aren’t paleo because of the honey & the butter. Believe it or not, both of those items are allowed in some paleo diets and are allowed in moderation. Like I have said, I follow the 80/20 rule – and these fall somewhere in between that.
Paleo Pros: No fake sugar, no white flour
Paleo Cons: Honey & butter
Guess what? I’ll live.
I’ll admit, they were a tad dry. I think next time I am going to add maybe a 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce to moisten them up! I improvised and added some coconut flakes on top, too. They actually tasted better after being refrigerated over night!
How do you curb your sweet tooth without feeling guilty?
** This recipe comes from here.